forum.dwylbtzle.info Forum Index
forum.dwylbtzle.info Forum Index
forum.dwylbtzle.info
FREE-RANGE FLOYD-FREAK ASYLUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wish You Were Here

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.dwylbtzle.info Forum Index -> Album Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wormbrain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Wish You Were Here Reply with quote

This is also another fav of mine, means loads to me...how about you?
Cirrus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can guess that one, babe! Wink
Kealyboy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best album they've ever done, though I do love the beautiful mysterious mess of albums like More and Saucerful. Oo lord.
Dwylbtzle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well==there was a three year gap--maybe three and a half
between this album and dark side
so when this one came out
i was hoping they woulda got over what ever seemed to be bumming them out when they did dark side
but they hadn't
they seemed to still be wailing and moaning about syd and the record companies and war and shit

none of the post dsotm albums that i'm always bitching about were bad albums when held in their own light
but they never got back to the sheer joyous trippiness of meddle and ummagumma
i thought they were going to go in a straight line up into more, weirder trippiness after meddle
and they went into a nose-dive of dreariness, instead
and wish you were here was confirming that strongly
so it was a disappointment to me

don't even start with me Confused
i have never found a fan who got into them after 1973 who can appreciate what a blow it was when roger took over and sent them into the goddam slough of despond

when animals came out i realized they were never gonna be that band again

Kealyboy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuck the political stance of the lyrics/moany whinging/'anti-conformist' sixth form philosophy

its a beautiful cosmic piece of music and has some amazing emotive sentiments
Old Geezer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now here is a big surprise, I agree with DW. The first time I saw these guys, July 14, 1968 Grande Ballroom, in downtown "D".

It was going great. I couldn't understand a thing they were saying, but the music was jammin. Astronomy Domine, Dave's interpretation blew me away. Then Set The Controls... sucked me in for life. For 10 or more years I thought Roger was singing the Heat of the sun.

DSOTM was obviously their most successful album in terms of sales.

I cuss at the Aussies when they come to town, with a sub-par vocalist chick singing Great Gig.

The Wall... uh.. some songs were written especially for me like Comfortably Numb. Dave had some Private Eye check my life for the inspiration, I just know it.

I know he wrote the song about Syd, but WYWH was really written about one of my best friends sitting on the ocean floor somewhere near the Marianas Trench killed in a plane accident while he was serving in Vietnam.

But PF isn't about just music, it a total freaking experience. I am ever so sorry Roger lost his dad in WW2. I understand his pain, it's terrible and lamentable. But it's way past time to give it a rest.

It's about more than what is on the surface. There are subtleties beyond measure.

You either get it or you don't.

WYWH is a good album. I love the song WYWH, it reminds me of my friend and how I miss him. Also SOYCD, what a great tribute as well as music. I hope my friends think that kindly of me.

And Rogers ego going so far out of control is beyond the pale. Kicking out Richard Wright whose talent is at least as important to what is PF sound as anything Roger did was inexcusable.

Listen to The Division Bell. That was Pink Floyd reborn my friends.

"When a small man casts a long shadow, it's sunset" (some Chinese wise guy, who no doubt foresaw Obama)
James Addiction

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish You Were Here really is Richard Wright's album. His keyboards practically dominate the entire album, and the songs would be lacking in depth and texture if he was absent. Roger would like to claim how important he is to Pink Floyd, but Richard really is the heart and soul of the band. Nick my have been on every album, but (according to Nick himself) Richard has performed at every show.

Old Geezer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Addiction wrote:
Wish You Were Here really is Richard Wright's album. His keyboards practically dominate the entire album, and the songs would be lacking in depth and texture if he was absent. Roger would like to claim how important he is to Pink Floyd, but Richard really is the heart and soul of the band. Nick my have been on every album, but (according to Nick himself) Richard has performed at every show.

By that definition practically every album would Richard Wrights album.

Not that I disagree. I think him and Dave are who put the rubber on the road so to speak musically. IMO if a song doesn't start out with RW setting the tone and doing the heavy lifting until Dave comes along and picks it up, it aint PF. They may or may not go back and forth on who does the heavy lifting, but all PROPER PF does that.

IMO

"When a small man casts a long shadow, it's sunset" (some Chinese wise guy, who no doubt foresaw Obama)
Cirrus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because of all this talk that I prefer Ummagumma. No one can talk when listening to it!
Old Geezer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cirrus wrote:
That's because of all this talk that I prefer Ummagumma. No one can talk when listening to it!

I love you man!!!!

Cirrus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope that's platonic... Confused
Robbed72

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kealyboy"]fuck the political stance of the lyrics/moany whinging/'anti-conformist' sixth form philosophy

its a beautiful cosmic piece of music and has some amazing emotive sentiments[/quote]

Yeah ... but what he said made sense.

A lot of people feel the same way with regard to the dreary NATURE of it all. Concepts, dreary. Content, dreary. Music, beautiful & profound.

That's why I listen and like it ... despite it's dreary nature.
Old Geezer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cirrus wrote:
Hope that's platonic... Confused

At my age I am at the point where food has replaced sex as my primary carnal desire.

Next week I am having the workmen come in and install mirrors on the dining room ceiling!

(Apologies to Rodney Dangerfield)

Old Geezer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Addiction wrote:

A FREAKING MEN

Richard was the Heart and Soul of the band. He dominates the Saucer and Piper music, in fact if he isn't playing it, it doesn't exist. And when David came in, it's he and Dave who dominate the music. When you saw them live in the pre-DSOTM days, it was Richard, who besides carrying the load on music, did the special effects live. RIP man.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.dwylbtzle.info Forum Index -> Album Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: